Cymbopogon jwarancusa, a member of the grass family, is a medicinal plant found in temperate and tropical regions of countries such as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Iraq, and others. This plant contains a modest amount of essential oil with a minty fragrance. In India, it goes by various common names including Lamajja, Lamajjaka (in Sanskrit), Vilaamichhan (in Siddha), and Izkhar Makki (in Urdu).
Notably, Cymbopogon jwarancusa boasts a range of valuable medicinal properties, which can guide its proper utilization and also highlight situations where caution is necessary. Below are its medicinal properties along with their meanings:
- Antioxidant: This property helps reduce damage caused by oxygen, such as that induced by free radicals.
- Anti-rheumatic: It counteracts rheumatism and rheumatoid diseases.
- Blood purifier: It detoxifies the body.
- Bechic: It serves as a remedy for coughs.
- Carminative: It aids in relieving flatulence.